Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Whole New World

Yes, my very first blog is named after a Disney song- deal with it.

Stepping off the plane, it truly felt like a whole new world though. For those of you who don't know, Heathrow airport is more or less the size of my hometown. Yea....a tad intimidating to say the least. Especially to a solitary girl who's traveled 4,626 miles, left her home, family, and friends behind, to travel to a place she's never been. Mhmm, intimidating. That was the word of the day.

I left Friday afternoon. I was a mess at the airport, an absolute mess. My family and I are extremely close, so as much as I am against crying in public, I knew that rule would definitely be broken. It would be a lot easier if we weren't so close, but I never ever in a million years would wish away my relationship with my family. Them. Them and my cat and dog. Those are things I miss the most. Apart from my car.

By the time I arrived at my destination (Hendrefoelan Student village, Swansea, Wales) I had been traveling for about 24 hours. Give or take haha. But of course it felt longer.

Hitting the fast forward button here as I saw that inconspicuous yawn... I'm now starting my third week here. Since I've been here, I took the orientation course with other fellow Americanteers (yea just coined that phrase, don't steal it). The course was British culture and politics and I quite enjoyed it. I've also made friends over the past few weeks, people from the class as well as my housemates.

I'm a lucky girl. I have an amazing family as well as friends back home, jobs I love, pets I miss, and I lead a life I love. I was granted this amazing opportunity which I know will change me in ways I can't even understand until the plane ride home. I hope my words didn't leave you bored and you'll continue to check back in with me as I tell you about this fascinating, beautiful whole new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment